#FlipboardChat Summary: How Retailers Can Use Flipboard Magazines
Jenn de la Vega / October 28, 2015
Every Wednesday evening, members of the Flipboard Club—an unofficial group of passionate evangelists—hold a Twitter chat about a Flipboard-centric topic. We share the tips and ideas discussed there each week. Join in the chat at 7pm PT / 10pm ET via the #FlipboardChat hashtag on Twitter. If the time zone doesn’t work for you, join this Facebook group to stay in the loop.
Last time, participants chatted about “How Retailers Can Use Flipboard Magazines.“ Here’s what they said:
What are your favorite retailers to shop from?
- I’m fairly obsessed with The Limited and White House Black Market for clothing.
- I do a lot of shopping online. I used to use catalogs, but now I mostly purchase online. Oh, Amazon. Bloomingdale’s.
- I’m a fan of Casual Male Big and Tall.
- Apple. Best customer service by far.
- Anthropologie, DSW, Roadrunner Sports, Nordstrom, Target are a few.
- Sephora is favorite retailer.
- Amazon is my go-to for most online shopping, but I love Etsy for gift-giving.
Do you have a shopping catalog or personal wishlist on Flipboard and, if so, how do you use it?
- I have a hybrid catalog on Flipboard about the Middle Ages. I like to find medieval-like stuff for sale. I use it for fun.
- Yes, I have one for makeup. It’s stuff that I would buy if I had unlimited resources and space. The crazy pricey stuff.
- I have one that highlights retailers who give back.
- Shopping catalogs can be fun to make, especially if you plan to run them by people buying presents.
- I should have made one for my birthday and sent that to everyone I know. That’s not weird, right?
- Catalogs are one thing that make you love the bookmarklet.
How can retailers benefit from using Flipboard magazines?
- Flipping items into a magazine makes it really easy for a consumer to click through to the site and purchase.
- A retailer who puts together a catalog can find a whole new audience, especially because of topics and search.
- They can create gorgeous lookbooks and holiday specific or gift catalogs.
- Displaying pictures and text is incredibly effective in retail. Also, these are interactive, unlike most static ads.
- A retailer could mix product shots with tips articles and a SoundCloud message from the owner.
What are some unique ways retailers can use Flipboard to attract shoppers during the holiday season?
- A retailer could add spooky music for Halloween specials via SoundCloud.
- You can create lookbooks and promote them through social channels like Facebook.
- Coupon codes, interactivity with the community and SoundCloud narration.
- Information about where and how a product is made.
Besides products, what else should retailers consider including in their Flipboard magazines?
- Retailers can add articles and recipes, all kinds of relevant and explainer stuff via the Compose tool, now on iPad too.
- DIYs and recipes are great ideas. And make sure the products used are nearby.
- Retailers could establish themed topics relevant to buyer personas Flipboard magazines.
- Share community support and maybe even news.
What are your best tips for retailers on how to maintain Flipboard shopping catalogs and magazines?
- Check for dead links! As items are sold out or discontinued, links die quickly so check and delete. A lot.
- Catalogs take maintenance, keeping items and prices up-to-date. Retailers have to keep on top of them through the Web editor.
- Tips that relate to the products they sell, which will get customers intrigued.They can also post about their work culture.
- How about instructions to show something isn’t hard to put together? I think that could be big.
- How about GIF coupons?
Is Flipboard best suited for online retailers or can brick and mortar stores benefit as well? How?
- Brick and mortar definitely can benefit. A Flipboard catalog is a showcase that makes people want to buy stuff.
- I think it’s for both. You may want to see it online, read reviews, comments on Flipboard, etc., and buy in-person.
- Brick and mortar have a location and a community. Online have the worldwide web and endless possibility.
- Both would benefit from the flexibility.
- With the compose function, Flipboard puts online catalogs in small business owners’ fingertips.
- Anyone with decent digital skills and good photography can make a great Flipboard magazine.
As the holiday season approaches, how can Flipboard help enhance your shopping experience?
- As someone who has actually shopped via Flipboard catalogs (thanks Etsy & Flipboard Club), I say MORE CATALOGS.
- A broken-link checker, a la WordPress, would be AMAZING.
- I like curated gift lists. I’m always searching for last minute gifts for my boss or an elderly relative, 5-year old-girl, etc.
Don’t forget to join the #FlipboardChat this week. Start chatting on Twitter on at 7pm PT / 10pm ET, or come back to this blog for an update.