From WEF to the French Elections: Global News Events to Follow on Flipboard This Month
Inside Flipboard / April 5, 2017
At Flipboard, we take news seriously. From Brazil to Turkey to Korea, our News Desk works across time zones and languages to curate the best stories from trusted local sources. Here are three major developments this month getting some extra love from our international team. Follow any of these magazines or topics to watch what unfolds.
The French Presidential Elections
The French are getting ready to pick their next president via two rounds of voting in April and May in a highly contentious election that will be a defining moment not just for France, but for Europe at large.The frontrunners are Marine Le Pen, a right wing populist who opposes the EU and vowed that Frexit is next, and Emmanuel Macron, a former economy minister running as an independent centrist. Although Le Pen leads the poll for the first round of voting, she is widely expected to lose in the second round. We shall see in this magazine:
PRÉSIDENTIELLES 2017 by Flipboard France: The latest on the presidential race, in French.
For more reading about politics in Europe, try:
- Punto de Mira: Europa by Flipboard España: Spanish magazine covering the main developments in Europe.
- Brexit Fallout by Flipboard UK: All the news from the impending process, curated by Flipboard UK.
- Europe: An in depth look at the continent as more elections are set to take place.
- European Union: How will the EU fare as more European countries discuss leaving?
World Economic Forum on Latin America
From April 5-7, 2017, Argentina will host the World Economic Forum on Latin America, which brings together global and regional leaders from business, government and civil society to discuss Latin America’s political, economic and societal issues. Inclusiveness, poverty reduction, anti-corruption and transparency will be high on the agenda as Latin America seeks to solidify its path to sustainable development and market growth.
FORO ECONÓMICO MUNDIAL: AGENDA by World Economic Forum in Spanish: The stories that shape the global and regional agendas, in Spanish.
For more reading about the pressing issues facing Latin America, try:
- The Latin America topic: news and trends unfolding in the region.
- Lava Jato by Flipboard Brasil: covering the anti-corruption investigation carried out by the Brazilian Federal Police that has put many Brazilian high-profile politicians and businessmen behind bars.
- De Nustros Países by Flipboard Latinoamérica and Flipboard Latino: the latest news from the region’s major players.
Turkish Constitutional Referendum
On Sunday, April 16, a constitutional referendum will be held in Turkey to decide whether to turn the country from a parliamentary republic to a presidential one. If the new political system is chosen by the majority of Turkish people, the country’s powerful but divisive President Erdoğan will get sweeping new powers. Polls show a very tight race, but regardless of the results, the referendum will have a seismic impact far beyond Turkish borders.
REFERANDUM by Flipboard Türkİye: important developments on Turkey’s political scenario, curated by our Turkish editor.
For more reading about Turkey and its neighbors, try:
- Europe and Turkey by Flipboard Germany: the strained German-Turkish relations as covered by the German media.