Engineering / Palo Alto, CA, United States
Share job post:
Flipboard gives people a single place to stay informed and get inspired to pursue their passions. With more than 100 million readers every month, Flipboard is used by people around the world to read leading publications, blogs and industry news as well as to collect stories, images, and videos into their own Flipboard Magazines to share ideas with others or simply express their perspectives.
We are looking for an experienced Android developer with a background in shipping beautiful, high-performance, maintainable software to join our Android team. Here at Flipboard, you will take on complex problems, experiment with open source solutions and enjoy a culture that celebrates constant innovation. In this role, you will work on a completely unique and beautiful app and be able to pair your experience with a talented and fun team!
What You'll Do:
- Develop new, exciting features and release to millions of Android users
- Write clean, maintainable code while rapidly iterating and shipping
- Work collaboratively with product managers and designers to develop features
- Integrate with web services and spec out APIs with platform developers
- Maintain a thoughtful commit history using git and conduct peer reviews using GitHub
- Work closely with QA to quickly find and resolve any issues
- Keep up-to-date on the latest Android developments, respond to customer feedback & testing
What You Know:
- 4+ years of Android development experience
- Strong knowledge of Android UI design principles, patterns, and best practices
- Strong knowledge of Android SDK, different versions of Android, and how to deal with different screen sizes
- Strong Java engineering skills
- Kotlin experience a plus
- Experience with offline storage, threading, and performance tuning
- Experience with client/server programming, HTTP requests, and JSON
- Desire to learn new frameworksHow to build composable, extensible interfaces quickly
- How to work within and maintain an existing codebase
Benefits & Perks
- Our benefits include vision, dental, life, and health insurance, plus 401K with a company match
- Flexible hours and generous ‘out of office time’ for holidays, vacations, sick leave, relaxation & wellness, personal and family needs
- Subsidized commuter programs
- Team celebrations: company anniversaries, birthdays, Thanksgiving, weddings/babies –– you name it, we celebrate it!
Why Join Flipboard?
- Our vision: At a time when society could really benefit from being more informed and inspired, we are enabling great stories to reach the right communities around the world.
- Our team: Led by experienced entrepreneur CEO Mike McCue, and President/COO Kal Amin, we are a highly diverse team of bright, capable people who work collaboratively with strong purpose and vision. We are positive, respectful and we value self improvement. We want an environment and culture where a variety of voices and perspectives are both encouraged and heard. Our belief is that employees from various backgrounds and experiences can help us fulfill our mission of truly “Inspiring and Informing” the world. We believe that leveraging this diversity will lead us to create better products and services for all of our key constituents on the platform.
- Our value: We are fully funded and making steady, meaningful progress on a premium, high margin business within a $600B, highly strategic market. Our business model is tightly aligned with our values, our partners and our user experience which makes our company both valuable and unique.
- Our product: Millions of people truly love Flipboard and rely on it regularly. Flipboard is a standard bearer for great mobile design, innovation, and we deeply value craftsmanship.
- Our platform: Our platform selects the best content from millions of sources around the world, organizes it into highly personalized feeds, and presents it for further curation by the community. We are driven by hard technical challenges and we value pioneering new technology to continually increase the power, efficiency and scale of our platform.