Core Platform Engineer
Engineering / Palo Alto, CA, United States
Share job post:
Flipboard is the world’s largest mobile curation platform. Powered by people and technology, Flipboard makes it easy to stay informed and get inspired by the stories and products that fuel your passion.
Our Core Platform Engineering Team is looking for an exceptional individual to join the team. In this role, you will be able to make a significant impact on the team by designing and building scalable platforms to handle multi-millions requests and petabytes of data. In addition, you’ll be responsible for measuring performance and identifying bottlenecks in scaling our current systems. You’ll team up with brilliant engineers in building world-class products. Here’s a full list of the responsibilities below:
- Design and build scalable platforms to handle multi-million requests and petabytes of data
- Build new platform features along with supporting the server platform
- Measure performance and identify bottlenecks in scaling our current systems
- Contribute to open source software powering our platform
- Collaborate with a diverse team of skilled engineers in building world-class products
- Ensure efficiency, quality, and operability of a large-scale distributed system
- You have BS or MS degree in Computer Science or related field
- 3+ years of programming experience, including building distributed systems
- Proficient in building RESTful web services and writing multi-threading code
- Proficient in Java/JVM languages and experience in one or more of Python/C++/Functional programming languages
- Experience working with database technologies (HBase and MySQL)
- Experience with data-intensive applications, API development, and protocol design
- Interest and knowledge of building scalable and fault-tolerant server software and strong architectural chops
- Excellent Linux / UNIX knowledge
- Strong written and spoken communication skills
Benefits & Perks
- Our benefits include vision, dental, life, and health insurance plus 401K with company contribution
- Flexible hours and generous ‘out of office time’ for holidays, vacations, sick leave, relaxation & wellness, personal and family needs
- Subsidized commuter programs
- Flipboard Sports: basketball & soccer teams, certified rock climbers, biking, or anything you’d like to organize
- Team celebrations: company anniversaries, birthdays, Thanksgiving, weddings/babies–you name it, we celebrate it
Why Join Flipboard?
- Our vision: At a time when society could really benefit from being more informed and inspired, we are enabling great stories to reach the right communities around the world.
- Our team: Led by experienced entrepreneur Mike McCue, we are a highly diverse team of bright, capable people who work collaboratively with strong purpose and vision. We are positive, respectful and we value self improvement. We have a track record of betting on people, giving them bigger roles, and supporting them. We believe strongly in the importance of investing in our team. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company.
- Our value: We are fully funded and making steady, meaningful progress on a premium, high margin business within a $600B, highly strategic market. Our business model is tightly aligned with our values, our partners and our user experience which makes our company both valuable and unique.
- Our product: Millions of people truly love Flipboard and rely on it regularly. Flipboard is a standard bearer for great mobile design, innovation, and we deeply value craftsmanship.
- Our platform: Our platform selects the best content from millions of sources around the world, organizes it into highly personalized feeds, and presents it for further curation by the community. We are driven by hard technical challenges and we value pioneering new technology to continually increase the power, efficiency and scale of our platform.