Director, Business Operations
Business Development / New York, NY, United States
Share job post:
Flipboard gives people a single place to stay informed and get inspired to pursue their passions. With more than 100 million readers every month, Flipboard is used by people around the world to read leading publications, blogs and industry news as well as to collect stories, images, and videos into their own Flipboard Magazines to share ideas with others or simply express their perspective.
The Director, Business Operations role sits within Flipboard’s COO organization and reports directly to the COO.
The role of the COO organization is to lead the development of Flipboard’s long-term strategy, planning, and operations by leading stakeholder alignment across all key business units and providing business critical insights and analysis to the organization. This spans Flipboard’s global product, engineering, design, revenue, marketing, growth, publisher development, and executive functions.
The Director of Business Operations will provide key business intelligence necessary to define and align both short and long-term organizational priorities across functions, as well as incubate early-stage initiatives that have the potential to become long-term platform opportunities. Also, the role will be responsible for day-to-day operations, overall business rhythm and operating processes for the global organization.
As a part of the team, the Director of Business Operations will help dive into Flipboard’s large pool of data, help draw insights, and create clear recommendations that allow the management team to make decisions on key company strategies and initiatives. This is a unique opportunity to work in an ever-evolving organization, enhancing a data-driven approach to the work we do.
- Drive problem-solving and strategic projects by evaluating and executing (ad-hoc) strategic opportunities that may arise. Solve operational problems from small to large, and stepping in and executing alongside or in place of functions when needed.
- Act as a key point of contact for senior stakeholders in relation to the articulation of the vision, strategy, positioning, and goals for the organization in order to maximize stakeholder alignment on specific initiatives as well as the overall direction and goals.
- Drive performance improvement opportunities by proactively identifying and driving key strategic initiatives that have the potential to deliver long-term growth while scaling projects that drive operational efficiency.
- Own the global operating rhythm by creating efficiency, removing obstacles and improving processes. Provide COO and management team with the insights and knowledge needed to drive cross-company decisions.
- Drive business review and tracking against the performance of company KPIs. Own the process, framework, and output for analysis, business reviews, ensuring that a regular cadence is in place.
- Develop and lead strategic business planning processes, working closely with key stakeholders to identify and execute on opportunities for ongoing improvement across Flipboard.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- BA/BS degree; MBA preferred
- 6-10 years of relevant work experience
- Experience at a management consulting firm, corporate strategy organization or technology-focused banking organization
- Passion and deep understanding of technology and the media industry.
- Generalist skill-set that is equally comfortable analyzing data, speaking to partners, or negotiating a deal
- Organized, process-driven strategic thinker with an understanding of planning and budgeting
- Proven track record in the application of analytical and structured problem-solving skills, including the ability to work closely with key stakeholders to collect qualitative and quantitative input to create effective strategies and execution plans
- Outstanding communication skills and high EQ, tailoring messaging while creating an understanding of the objective or task at hand
- Strong project management skills; disciplined approach to managing processes and controls; a get it done attitude
- Ability to positively and creatively influence changes within the department and champion critical department and team initiatives
- Good judgment, maturity, and poise to enable interaction/influencing of senior-level staff
- Energetic, self-motivated and effective under pressure – must enjoy the challenge of working in a fast-paced, demanding, and somewhat chaotic working environment
Benefits & Perks:
- Our benefits include vision, dental, life, and health insurance, plus 401K with company contributions
- Flexible hours and generous ‘out of office time’ for holidays, vacations, sick leave, relaxation & wellness, personal and family needs
- Free lunches provided Monday through Friday
- Subsidized commuter programs
- Team celebrations: company anniversaries, birthdays, Thanksgiving, weddings/babies — you name it, we celebrate it!
Why Join Flipboard?
- Our vision: At a time when society could really benefit from being more informed and inspired, we are enabling great stories to reach the right communities around the world.
- Our team: Led by experienced entrepreneur Mike McCue, we are a highly diverse team of bright, capable people who work collaboratively with strong purpose and vision. We are positive, respectful and we value self improvement. We have a track record of betting on people, giving them bigger roles, and supporting them. We believe strongly in the importance of investing in our team. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company.
- Our value: We are fully funded and making steady, meaningful progress on a premium, high margin business within a $600B, highly strategic market. Our business model is tightly aligned with our values, our partners and our user experience which makes our company both valuable and unique.
- Our product: Millions of people truly love Flipboard and rely on it regularly. Flipboard is a standard bearer for great mobile design, innovation, and we deeply value craftsmanship.
- Our platform: Our platform selects the best content from millions of sources around the world, organizes it into highly personalized feeds, and presents it for further curation by the community. We are driven by hard technical challenges and we value pioneering new technology to continually increase the power, efficiency and scale of our platform.