Director, Data Analytics & Insights
Data Insights / New York, NY, United States
Share job post:
Flipboard gives people a single place to stay informed and get inspired to pursue their passions. With more than 100 million readers every month, Flipboard is used by people around the world to read leading publications, blogs and industry news as well as to collect stories, images, and videos into their own Flipboard Magazines to share ideas with others or simply express their perspective.
At Flipboard, we log more than 1 billion user actions a day. Flipboard’s proprietary user data is one of its most valuable assets. We are seeking a Director of Data Analytics & Insights to spearhead the data strategy and roadmap that will power data-driven decisions to deliver value creation through audience growth, monetization and brand awareness. This role will lead the data analytics & insights effort across Product, Marketing, Sales/Advertising and oversee our data platform, instrumentation, reporting & 3rd party tools. There are big data challenges to solve and the opportunity to make a big impact on our users, advertisers, content creators and strategic partners. We are looking for someone who can be the champion of data across the company enabling an insight driven culture, based in our New York City office.
- Partner with senior leaders across each business function to understand business goals, consult on data strategies, define KPIs, and produce repeatable, data-driven outcomes
- Manage, execute and deliver key analyses supporting all business functions such as user acquisition optimization, audience segmentation and valuation, and user’s content engagement behavior
- Lead the evaluation, decisioning process and adoption for scalable, world class BI & analytic tools and technology
- Become a hub for all Flipboard data and reporting requirements to maximize consistency and effectiveness
- Lead, manage and grow a high performing Analytics & Insights team
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Statistics, Mathematics, or Economics; MBA or advanced degree preferred
- 7+ years of leadership and management experience in a quantitative business environment — consulting & fast-paced tech or consumer internet company preferred
- Advanced SQL skills, fluent in R and/or Python required
- Experience with data visualization and BI tools such as Looker or Tableau
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills, particularly Excel preferred
- Excellent oral and written communication and experience in developing data centered communications with senior management
- Ability to convert abstract business questions into data problems
- Ability to initiate and drive projects from conception to completion with minimal guidance working cross-functionally
- Passionate about enabling an insights driven culture
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic and high energy environment and can handle ambiguity
Benefits & Perks
- Our benefits include vision, dental, life, and health insurance, plus 401K with a company match
- Flexible hours and generous ‘out of office time’ for holidays, vacations, sick leave, relaxation & wellness, personal and family needs
- Subsidized commuter programs
- Team celebrations: company anniversaries, birthdays, Thanksgiving, weddings/babies –– you name it, we celebrate it!
Why Join Flipboard?
- Our vision: At a time when society could really benefit from being more informed and inspired, we are enabling great stories to reach the right communities around the world.
- Our team: Led by experienced entrepreneur CEO Mike McCue, and President/COO Kal Amin, we are a highly diverse team of bright, capable people who work collaboratively with strong purpose and vision. We are positive, respectful and we value self improvement. We want an environment and culture where a variety of voices and perspectives are both encouraged and heard. Our belief is that employees from various backgrounds and experiences can help us fulfill our mission of truly “Inspiring and Informing” the world. We believe that leveraging this diversity will lead us to create better products and services for all of our key constituents on the platform.
- Our value: We are fully funded and making steady, meaningful progress on a premium, high margin business within a $600B, highly strategic market. Our business model is tightly aligned with our values, our partners and our user experience which makes our company both valuable and unique.
- Our product: Millions of people truly love Flipboard and rely on it regularly. Flipboard is a standard bearer for great mobile design, innovation, and we deeply value craftsmanship.
- Our platform: Our platform selects the best content from millions of sources around the world, organizes it into highly personalized feeds, and presents it for further curation by the community. We are driven by hard technical challenges and we value pioneering new technology to continually increase the power, efficiency and scale of our platform.