Director of Business Development
Business Development / New York, NY or Palo Alto, CA, United States
Share job post:
Flipboard gives people a single place to stay informed and get inspired to pursue their passions. With more than 145 million users every month, Flipboard is used by people around the world to read leading publications, blogs and industry news as well as to collect stories, images, and videos into their own Flipboard Magazines to share ideas with others or simply express their perspectives.
Flipboard is looking for a Director of Business Development who will develop, coordinate and lead the implementation of key, strategic partnerships to advance Flipboard’s business. This job requires high levels of creativity and strategic thinking with an eye towards growth. You should be as comfortable using your consultative selling skills and negotiating deals with partners as working cross-functionally with colleagues in Growth, Product, Editorial, Engineering, Sales, Operations, Finance and Legal to meet the strategic objectives of partners and Flipboard.
This position will be based in our Palo Alto, CA or New York, NY office.
- Partnering with other members of the company’s leadership team across growth, product, marketing, publisher relations, revenue and finance, continue to develop and execute on a strategy to scale Flipboard’s global business.
- Helping strategize and evolve Flipboard’s business model with particular attention to strategic scaling of our global business.
- Assuming the role of primary contact for key syndication co-development partners which will include liaising with leaders of internal and external teams.
- Identifying, scoping, developing and executing on target partnerships to advance company strategy in syndication and distribution, strategic content integration, revenue development, market integration, and related initiatives.
- Leading the business development team and providing ongoing mentorship, individual development, and guidance to team members.
- Working closely with multiple cross-functional teams to ensure alignment with company goals, resource expenditure planning, and management in executing on existing and new partnerships (distribution, strategic, and M&A).
- Supporting corporate development strategy.
- 10+ years of notable business development experience with a track record of success leading complex strategic initiatives end to end.
- Demonstrated success leading all aspects of large and small strategic deals from start to finish, ideally in the software, internet, and/or digital media industries.
- Expert-level understanding of the mobile content platform and/or consumer facing mobile-focused software industry, ideally with familiarity/experience with emerging technologies, advertising on digital platforms, mobile content distribution business models, and digital media.
- Strategic thinker with experience presenting solutions to senior-level audiences.
- Confidence in engaging with PMs and Engineers through an intimate knowledge of the underlying technologies that synergistic partnerships.
- Excellent, artful communicator (in person and written).
- Problem solving and analytical skills, combined with excellent business judgment.
- Collaborative, team-oriented attitude with an ability to partner with leads across the company.
- Startup, entrepreneurial, creative spirit that thrives in a fast-paced, fluid environment.
- Hands-on experience managing high-performing teams·
- Excellent and creative written and oral communication skills, with outstanding presentation skills for engaging and persuading top executives.
- Willingness to travel up to 50%.
Benefits & Perks
- Our benefits include vision, dental, life, and health insurance, plus 401K with company contributions
- Flexible hours and generous ‘out of office time’ for holidays, vacations, sick leave, relaxation & wellness, personal and family needs
- Free lunches provided Monday through Friday
- Subsidized commuter programs
- Team celebrations: company anniversaries, birthdays, Thanksgiving, weddings/babies –– you name it, we celebrate it!
Why Join Flipboard?
- Our vision: At a time when society could really benefit from being more informed and inspired, we are enabling great stories to reach the right communities around the world.
- Our team: Led by experienced entrepreneur CEO Mike McCue, and President/COO Kal Amin, we are a highly diverse team of bright, capable people who work collaboratively with strong purpose and vision. We are positive, respectful and we value self improvement. We want an environment and culture where a variety of voices and perspectives are both encouraged and heard. Our belief is that employees from various backgrounds and experiences can help us fulfill our mission of truly “Inspiring and Informing” the world. We believe that leveraging this diversity will lead us to create better products and services for all of our key constituents on the platform.
- Our value: We are fully funded and making steady, meaningful progress on a premium, high margin business within a $600B, highly strategic market. Our business model is tightly aligned with our values, our partners and our user experience which makes our company both valuable and unique.
- Our product: Millions of people truly love Flipboard and rely on it regularly. Flipboard is a standard bearer for great mobile design, innovation, and we deeply value craftsmanship.
- Our platform: Our platform selects the best content from millions of sources around the world, organizes it into highly personalized feeds, and presents it for further curation by the community. We are driven by hard technical challenges and we value pioneering new technology to continually increase the power, efficiency and scale of our platform.