Director, Platform Engineering
Engineering / Palo Alto, CA, United States
Share job post:
Flipboard gives people a single place to stay informed and get inspired to pursue their passions. Flipboard worldwide users log more than 1 billion user actions a day and more than 100 million readers every month reading leading publications, blogs and industry news. They also collect stories, images, and videos into their own Flipboard Magazines to share ideas with others or simply express their perspective.
We are looking for a Director of Platform Engineering to lead all of our back-end service teams. In this role you will lead, manage, grow, and develop our Core Platform, Advertising, Data, Machine Learning, and Operations engineering teams.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Ensuring the high-quality, cost-efficient operation of Flipboard software and services.
- Planning, implementing, testing, delivering, and operating all server-side projects
- Nurturing and growing engineering managers and individual contributors
- Working with senior management to shape the technical and product roadmap
Skills, accomplishments, and interests you should have:
- 15+ years of hands on software engineering and engineering management
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science or a related field
- Experience building and leading teams of 10+ engineers
- Experience with software systems deployed at the scale
- Professional, courteous, and self-motivated
- Passion for learning, as well as self- and team-improvement
- Demonstrated value for clear and effective communication with diverse groups
About our systems:
- We develop services in Java, Python, and Go
- We deploy our services in AWS
- We use many open-source services, such as HBase, Spark, Kafka, and Puppet, and Jenkins
- We emphasize innovation in areas related to our product strengths
Benefits and Perks @ Flipboard
- Flipboard’s Palo Alto headquarters is an open, beautifully designed space, centrally located to public transportation
- Our CEO Mike McCue is a creative visionary experienced at building innovative products and companies
- Our benefits include vision, dental, life, and health insurance plus 401K with company contribution
- Flexible hours and generous ‘out of office time’ for holidays, vacations, sick leave, family leave, relaxation & wellness
- Free lunches provided Monday through Friday
- Subsidized commuter programs
- Flipboard Sports: Basketball & Soccer teams, certified rock climbers, biking, or anything you’d like to organize
- Team celebrations: company anniversaries, birthdays, holidays, weddings, babies –– you name it, we celebrate it!
- We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity and inclusion at Flipboard
Why Join Flipboard?
- Our vision: At a time when society could really benefit from being more informed and inspired, we are enabling great stories to reach the right communities around the world.
- Our team: Led by experienced entrepreneur Mike McCue, we are a highly diverse team of bright, capable people who work collaboratively with strong purpose and vision. We are positive, respectful and we value self improvement. We have a track record of betting on people, giving them bigger roles, and supporting them. We believe strongly in the importance of investing in our team. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company.
- Our value: We are fully funded and making steady, meaningful progress on a premium, high margin business within a $600B, highly strategic market. Our business model is tightly aligned with our values, our partners and our user experience which makes our company both valuable and unique.
- Our product: Millions of people truly love Flipboard and rely on it regularly. Flipboard is a standard bearer for great mobile design, innovation, and we deeply value craftsmanship.
- Our platform: Our platform selects the best content from millions of sources around the world, organizes it into highly personalized feeds, and presents it for further curation by the community. We are driven by hard technical challenges and we value pioneering new technology to continually increase the power, efficiency and scale of our platform.