Engineering Manager, Ads Platform and Monetization
Platform Engineering / New York, NY, United States
Share job post:
Flipboard gives people a single place to stay informed and get inspired to pursue their passions. With more than 100 million readers every month, Flipboard is used by people around the world to read leading publications, blogs and industry news as well as to collect stories, images, and videos into their own Flipboard Magazines to share ideas with others or simply express their perspectives.
We are seeking an experienced and talented Engineering Manager to lead an engineering team at the epicenter of the Flipboard monetization strategy. This is a salaried, full-time position based in our New York City office.
As the Engineering Manager, Ads Platform and Monetization, you will be leading the engineering vision and implementation for Flipboard’s next generation Ads Platform. You will also collaborate with Flipboard engineering teams in Palo Alto, Vancouver, and Seattle, which are responsible for the core platform, machine learning, and client apps. This is a great opportunity for an experienced Engineering Manager to lead a team in building a platform that helps Flipboard realize its mission of informing and inspiring the world.
- Build a strong team by hiring, mentoring, and developing engineers through performance management
- Develop, own, and evolve Flipboard’s ad serving platform and associated infrastructure for monetization
- Work together with the product, client, and sales teams to design and implement product features
- Provide ongoing support for features throughout the product lifecycle
- Ensure efficiency, quality, and usability of a high-profile client-facing system
- At least 7 years of programming experience and 1+ year of engineering management experience
- BS degree in Computer Science or related field
- Expertise with complex data services, including tools such as Hadoop, Spark, Kafka and related technologies
- Experience developing systems for digital advertising
- Experience with developing products on the public cloud (AWS a plus)
- Experience with NoSQL databases (HBase a plus)
- Familiarity with the ad tech ecosystem, including DoubleClick for Publishers and SSP, DSP, and DMP technologies
- Proficiency with relational databases
- Strong communication skills and the desire to have fun building great software!
Benefits & Perks
- Our benefits include vision, dental, life, and health insurance plus 401K with company contribution
- Flexible hours and generous ‘out of office time’ for holidays, vacations, sick leave, relaxation & wellness, personal and family needs
- Free lunches provided Monday through Friday
- Subsidized commuter programs
- Team celebrations: company anniversaries, birthdays, Thanksgiving, weddings/babies –– you name it, we celebrate it!
Why Join Flipboard?
- Our vision: At a time when society could really benefit from being more informed and inspired, we are enabling great stories to reach the right communities around the world.
- Our team: Led by experienced entrepreneur Mike McCue, we are a highly diverse team of bright, capable people who work collaboratively with strong purpose and vision. We are positive, respectful and we value self improvement. We have a track record of betting on people, giving them bigger roles, and supporting them. We believe strongly in the importance of investing in our team. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company.
- Our value: We are fully funded and making steady, meaningful progress on a premium, high margin business within a $600B, highly strategic market. Our business model is tightly aligned with our values, our partners and our user experience which makes our company both valuable and unique.
- Our product: Millions of people truly love Flipboard and rely on it regularly. Flipboard is a standard bearer for great mobile design, innovation, and we deeply value craftsmanship.
- Our platform: Our platform selects the best content from millions of sources around the world, organizes it into highly personalized feeds, and presents it for further curation by the community. We are driven by hard technical challenges and we value pioneering new technology to continually increase the power, efficiency and scale of our platform.