IT Support Specialist
Engineering / Redwood City, CA, United States
Share job post:
Flipboard is a content discovery platform for your passions, interests, and news. Available on web, iOS, and Android, Flipboard offers the world important and influential articles shared by the greatest publishers and our awesome Flipboard community to advance conversation, keep people informed, and inspire them to engage, learn, and lead.
We are looking for a full-time IT Support Specialist to provide technical and user assistance to our employees. The position is based in our Redwood City office. The ideal candidate will have a strong service orientation and be comfortable troubleshooting issues across hardware, software, and network platforms in Mac, Windows, iOS and Android environments. This an impactful role at Flipboard as it is a touchpoint for every employee in the company.
- Investigate and troubleshoot application, operating system and peripheral errors
- Provision new employee equipment and accounts, including mobile devices
- Maintain existing tools and identify new vendor relationships to ensure we’re using the best tools and services
- Manage all aspects of network connectivity; from telecom hand-off to firewall/routing, Wifi and VPN
- Manage and maintain all video conferencing equipment and the quality of the audio/visual experience at Flipboard including set up, recording and posting of all company wide Zoom video meetings.
- Test new applications and operating systems for compatibility
- Set up a shared Mac OS X workstation environment
- Expand upon existing ticketing and wiki systems as the company grows
- Understand the underlying components necessary to make OpenLDAP, DNS, and DHCP function correctly
- Be the subject matter expert in multiple desktop technologies; maintain documentation, provide training, be point-of-contact for vendors and technical escalations
- 3+ years of experience in a Desktop Support role
- Strong experience with Mac applications-Parallels, Bootcamp, MS Office, Safari, Mail, iCal and Zoom Video Communications and Conferencing.
- Strong desktop hardware experience (MacBooks, laptops, printers, network attached storage)
- Fast learner with the ability to become proficient in new applications and be a knowledgeable resource
- Basic understanding of networking (TCP / UDP) as it relates to switching, routing, firewalls, and VPN
- Maintain passwords, data integrity, system access and security for desktop technologies
- Self-motivated with effective interpersonal and collaborative service oriented working style.
- Mac/Linux scripting (Bash, Shell, Perl)
- Experience with Open Source applications
- Previous experience building tools to ensure IT efficiency
- Experience supporting mobile devices in a corporate environment (iPhone, Android, Windows Mobile) and Zoom video communications platform.
Benefits & Perks
- Our benefits include vision, dental, life, and health insurance, plus 401K with a company match
- Flexible hours and generous ‘out of office time’ for holidays, vacations, sick leave, relaxation & wellness, personal and family needs
- Subsidized commuter programs
- Team celebrations: company anniversaries, birthdays, Thanksgiving, weddings/babies –– you name it, we celebrate it!
Why Join Flipboard?
- Our vision: At a time when society could really benefit from being more informed and inspired, we are enabling great stories to reach the right communities around the world.
- Our team: Led by experienced CEO, Mike McCue, the Flipboard team is a positive, respectful, and diverse group of bright and highly capable people who work collaboratively with strong purpose and vision. The Flipboard team is headquartered in downtown Redwood City, CA in the beautiful SF Bay Area. Although our roots lie in the Silicon Valley, our team extends around the world: New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, Seattle, Vancouver, and London.
- Our culture: We value an environment and culture that encourages people’s voices and perspectives to be heard. We believe that leveraging our team will lead us to create better products and services for all our users and partners.
- Our value: We are fully funded and making steady, meaningful progress on a premium, high margin business within a $600B, highly strategic market. Our business model is tightly aligned with our values, our partners and our user experience which makes our company both valuable and unique.
- Our product: Millions of people truly love Flipboard and rely on it regularly. Flipboard is a standard bearer for great mobile design, innovation, and we deeply value craftsmanship.
- Our platform: Our platform selects the best content from millions of sources around the world, organizes it into highly personalized feeds, and presents it for further curation by the community. We are driven by hard technical challenges and we value pioneering new technology to continually increase the power, efficiency and scale of our platform