Senior Backend Engineer, Ad Platform Team
Engineering / Palo Alto, CA, United States
Share job post:
Flipboard is the world’s first personal magazine used by tens of millions of people every day. We are looking for a Senior Backend Engineer to join the Advertising Platform team in our Palo Alto headquarters.
Flipboard has more than 100 million monthly active users. As an engineer on the Ad Platform Team, you will work on one of the company’s key goals and and your work will impact millions of users. We are looking for an engineer who is passionate about building systems, who wants to scale Flipboard to a billion users and who wants to help us reach ambitious revenue goals. If you enjoy working on a cross-functional agile team together with designers, clients and engineers to enable the team to deliver high quality innovative products in short sprint cycles, we’d like to talk with you. Our ideal candidate will be a senior engineer who can who can mentor a team to ensure technical excellence.
- Design, implement, test and maintain backend components: application, data, infrastructure, analytics and deployment
- Design and build systems with automated instrumentation and monitoring
- Consistently improve maintainability and stability of the codebase
- 5+ years of programming experience, including building distributed systems
- Expertise in Java or similar language (such as C++ or C#)
- Experience with online data stores (preferably MySQL)
- Experience with offline data stores (preferably Hadoop stack)
- Experience with at least one scripting language
- Real passion for agile, test-driven development, continuous integration and automated testing
- Deep understanding of distributed systems and functional programming paradigms
- BS, MS, or PhD in computer science, math, physics or related field
Why Work at Flipboard
- Our vision: At a time when society could really benefit from being more informed and inspired, we are enabling great stories to reach the right communities around the world.
- Our team: We are a highly diverse team of bright, capable people. We are positive, respectful and we value self improvement. We have a track record of betting on people, giving them bigger roles, and supporting them. We believe strongly in the importance of investing in our team.
- Our value: We are fully funded and making steady, meaningful progress on a premium, high margin business within a $600B, highly strategic market. Our business model is tightly aligned with our values, our partners and our user experience which makes our company both valuable and unique.
- Our product: Millions of people truly love Flipboard and rely on it regularly. Flipboard is a standard bearer for great mobile design, innovation, and we deeply value craftsmanship
- Our platform: Our platform selects the best content from millions of sources around the world, organizes it into highly personalized feeds, and presents it for further curation by the community. We are driven by hard technical challenges and we value pioneering new technology to continually increase the power, efficiency and scale of our platform.
Benefits and Perks
- Flipboard’s Palo Alto headquarters is an open, beautifully designed space, centrally located to public transportation.
- Our CEO Mike McCue is a creative visionary experienced at building innovative products and companies.
- Our benefits include Vision, dental, life, and health insurance plus 401K with company contribution
- Flexible hours and generous ‘out of office time’ for holidays, vacations, sick leave, relaxation & wellness, personal and family needs
- Subsidized commuter programs
- Flipboard Sports: Basketball & Soccer teams, certified rock climbers, biking, or anything you’d like to organize
- Team celebrations: company anniversaries, birthdays, Thanksgiving, weddings/babies–you name it, we celebrate it
- We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity and inclusion at our company.