Senior Core Platform Engineer
Engineering / Palo Alto, CA, United States
Share job post:
Flipboard has millions of daily users who read tens of millions of articles per day. Developing application services and features at this scale requires knowledge, skill and thoughtful leadership. We are seeking a self-motivated core platform engineering lead who want to scale Flipboard to a billion users.
- Architect, Design and build scalable next generation platforms to handle multi million requests and petabytes of data
- Build Features and new services along with supporting the server platform
- Identify bottlenecks and measure performance in scaling our current systems
- Contribute to open source software powering our platform
- Collaborate with a diverse team of skilled engineers in building world class products
- Ensure efficiency, quality, and operability of a large-scale distributed system
- 6+ years of programming experience, including building distributed systems.
- Proficient in building RESTful web services.
- Expert in Java and proficiency in Python/C++/Functional programming languages is a plus.
- Expertise in database technologies (Hbase and MySQL).
- Experience with data-intensive applications, API and protocol design.
- Interest and knowledge of building available and fault-tolerant server software and strong architectural chops.
- Excellent Linux / UNIX knowledge.
- Strong written and spoken communication skills .
- You have BS or MS degree in Computer Science or related field.
- You will build a product that millions use and love every day, transforming how people discover and share content. We are a flat organization, which means that we believe great ideas can come from anywhere and anyone. From the beginning we’ve been uncompromising in creating an environment that inspires great work and values the balanced lives of our staff.
- Flipboard’s new Palo Alto headquarters is an open, beautifully designed space, centrally located to public transportation.
- Our culture will enable you to learn and grow while you are shaping the product and the company.
- Our CEO Mike McCue is a creative visionary experienced at building innovative products and companies.
- Pick your equipment: we provide your choice of computers, screens, tablets, and peripherals.
- We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company.
Benefits & Perks
- Vision, dental, life, and health insurance plus 401K with company contribution
- Flexible hours and generous ‘out of office time’ for holidays, vacations, sick leave, relaxation & wellness, personal and family needs
- Subsidized commuter programs
- Flipboard Sports: Basketball & Soccer teams, certified rock climbers, biking, or anything you’d like to organize
- Team celebrations: company anniversaries, birthdays, Thanksgiving, weddings/babies–you name it, we celebrate it