Data Architect – Ads Platform and Monetization
Platform Engineering / Palo Alto, CA, United States & New York, NY, United States
Share job post:
Flipboard gives people a single place to stay informed and get inspired to pursue their passions. With more than 100 million readers every month, Flipboard is used by people around the world to read leading publications, blogs and industry news as well as to collect stories, images, and videos into their own Flipboard Magazines to share ideas with others or simply express their perspectives.
At Flipboard, we log billions of user events per day. Reliable data collection at exceptional scale is central to everything we do. We are seeking a self-motivated Senior Data Engineer who wants to help build a highly scalable, next generation ad serving platform. This is a salaried, full-time position based in our New York City office.
As a Data Architect – Ads Platform and Monetization, you will be designing and developing the data infrastructure for Flipboard’s next generation Ads Platform. You will also collaborate with Flipboard engineers in Palo Alto, Vancouver, and Seattle, who are responsible for the core platform, machine learning, and client apps. This is a great opportunity to contribute and grow as you build a platform that helps Flipboard realize its mission of informing and inspiring the world.
- Build the next generation of the Flipboard data infrastructure using the Spark ecosystem
- Identify improvements for the Flipboard data architecture, and design and implement solutions that improve the efficiency of data movement throughout the platform
- Ensure the quality of data that comes into the system – A model is only good when it’s built using good data
- Lead by example with a strong focus on code quality, tests and documentation
- BS in Computer Science or a related field (MS or PhD is a plus)
- 7+ years in a data engineering role
- Knowledge of the Spark/Hadoop ecosystem
- Experience scaling a platform to handle a growing user base
- Advanced knowledge of Java
Benefits & Perks
- Our benefits include vision, dental, life, and health insurance, plus 401K with company contributions
- Flexible hours and generous ‘out of office time’ for holidays, vacations, sick leave, relaxation & wellness, personal and family needs
- Free lunches provided Monday through Friday
- Subsidized commuter programs
- Team celebrations: company anniversaries, birthdays, Thanksgiving, weddings/babies — you name it, we celebrate it!
Why Join Flipboard?
- Our vision: At a time when society could really benefit from being more informed and inspired, we are enabling great stories to reach the right communities around the world.
- Our team: Led by experienced entrepreneur Mike McCue, we are a highly diverse team of bright, capable people who work collaboratively with strong purpose and vision. We are positive, respectful and we value self improvement. We have a track record of betting on people, giving them bigger roles, and supporting them. We believe strongly in the importance of investing in our team. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company.
- Our value: We are fully funded and making steady, meaningful progress on a premium, high margin business within a $600B, highly strategic market. Our business model is tightly aligned with our values, our partners and our user experience which makes our company both valuable and unique.
- Our product: Millions of people truly love Flipboard and rely on it regularly. Flipboard is a standard bearer for great mobile design, innovation, and we deeply value craftsmanship.
- Our platform: Our platform selects the best content from millions of sources around the world, organizes it into highly personalized feeds, and presents it for further curation by the community. We are driven by hard technical challenges and we value pioneering new technology to continually increase the power, efficiency and scale of our platform.