#FlipboardChat Summary: Creative Magazine Ideas for New Graduates
Jenn de la Vega / May 20, 2015
Every Wednesday evening, members of the Flipboard Club—an unofficial community of passionate evangelists—hold a Twitter chat about a Flipboard-centric topic and we summarize the discussion here.
Tonight’s topic is “Using Flipboard to Create Digital Brochures”.” Join in the chat Wednesday at 7pm PT/10pm ET via the hashtag on Twitter. If the time zone doesn’t work for you, join their Facebook group to stay in the loop.
Last week, participants chatted about how to creative magazine ideas for new graduates. Here’s what they said:
What benefit can high school or college seniors get from using Flipboard to prepare for graduation?
- High school and college seniors can use Flipboard as a record of their accomplishments which can also be a resume for their future.
- If they have to study for finals, uploading photos to a mag can be flippable flash cards.
- Yearbooks and memories come to mind and because Flipboard works so well with Instagram, it works for staying connected too.
- Current high school kids can make mags on potential colleges they want to attend, kind of like a visual pro/con list.
- Seniors can use Flipboard to establish themselves as thought leaders among peers on topics of interest.
Which specific topics and sources on Flipboard would you recommend that a new graduate follow?
- Recommended topics: job interviews, employment, time management, cover letters, career development and leadership.
- Follow the topic for your industry (e.g., education, social media, etc.) and follow reputable industry blogs.
- For job hunters: all magazines on resume building and interviewing, like “Climbing The Corporate Ladder.”
- Graduates need to stay in touch with current events, to chat about topics of interest. Flipboard is perfect for this!
- You can connect your LinkedIn to Flipboard and group updates from companies you follow will appear in your cover stories.
What are some creative ways new graduates can use Flipboard magazines to get into top colleges?
- HS students should make mags about the schools that interest them and make sure they’re informed for any interviews.
- Colleges love a well rounded applicant, so create a mag explaining why you should be admitted with experiences, class projects, awards, sports and/or community services. Include pics of you in their sweatshirt!
- Try a visual package (video, pics, essays, etc.) w/ portfolio of requirements to supplement application materials.
What are some creative ways new graduates can use Flipboard magazines to land a dream job?
- Lots of people creating resume magazines on Flipboard. Great way to showcase everything good out there about you.
- Do a mag about a prospective employer! Highlight industry news and corporate life. Show how much you know about them.
- Create a mag around industry topics & make sure you feature it on your website, blog, etc. Show you know your stuff!
- You can showcase your taste and enthusiasm in a specific subject as well as your skills as a curator with a magazine.
- If you’re looking to work in music, a Flipboard mag with a great SoundCloud playlist can really get your foot in the door.
What kind of Flipboard magazines can colleges and companies create to recruit soon-to-be graduates?
- Create a “Work with us!” magazine with contact info and upcoming company events.
- Reinvent the course catalog with Flipboard magazines.
- Create mags for sports, clubs, campus orgs, etc. Show off the multiple benefits of choosing that school.
- Use videos to show what life is like on campus. Have employees or students curate ~ what it’s like to work here/go to school here.
- Outlining an internship program could be great in a mag with requirements.
- Create mags showing off study-abroad programs and opportunities.
- A whole magazine can be devoted on how to dress for the workplace with best hair, jewelry etc.
- Throw in a plug for any famous alumni and their success stories.
- Grads want to see social impact of the biz, life in the office, training opportunities.
What are your best ideas for Flipboard magazines that help friends stay in touch after graduation?
- You might want to create a public mag for your family and a private group one for your friends.
- Take photos of everything at Graduation, & flip all of these memories into a mag. Crowd shots of grads, hats in the air!
- Curate favorite pics from the graduation ceremony shared on social media by friends and family into a magazine.
What are some ideas for creating graduation memories using Flipboard magazines?
- Magazines are a great way to update your friends on what you’re doing – jobs, hobbies, relationships, etc.
- Use mags to plan reunion trips!
- How about a hometown mag for Graduates? Keep them up on what is happening back home while they are away.
- For sororities and fraternities — private group mags are the best way to share.
- Another way to stay connected is simply to co-curate magazines on topics of shared interest no matter where you move to.
What are your best curating tips for a new graduate looking to start a Flipboard magazine?
- Pick a good username. If future employers see it, you don’t want to be embarrassed. Think about your personal branding.
- It’s free to start a Flipboard account! All this information is here for you to flip.
- It takes seconds to make a magazine, but a real eye to curate it well.
- My number one tip: Join the Flipboard Club‘s discussion group. You will learn tons! Here: http://bit.ly/FlipboardChat
- Go outside your norm & follow what looks interesting. The diversity of subjects is probably the best feature of Flipboard
Don’t forget to join this week: the topic is “Using Flipboard to Create Digital Brochures.” Start chatting on Twitter on May 20, 2015, at 7pm PT/10pm ET, or come back to this blog for an update.