#FlipboardChat Summary: Making a Standout Holiday Magazine
Jenn de la Vega / November 11, 2015
Every Wednesday evening, members of the Flipboard Club—an unofficial group of passionate evangelists—hold a Twitter chat about a Flipboard-centric topic. We share the tips and ideas discussed there each week. Join in the chat at 7pm PT / 10pm ET via the #FlipboardChat hashtag on Twitter. If the time zone doesn’t work for you, join this Facebook group to stay in the loop.
Last week, participants chatted about “Making a Standout Holiday Magazine.“ Here’s what they said:
What is your favorite holiday?
- Halloween, the fall season is great.
- I’m going with Christmas, followed closely by Thanksgiving.
- My favorite holiday is by far Christmas.
- Thanksgiving is probably my favorite holiday. No pressure for presents and lots of food, family and Cowboys football!
What makes a great Flipboard Magazine for the holidays?
- A great cover, title and a magazine that makes me happy!
- The cover should scream HOLIDAY! The content should be informative and beautiful.
- Gifting ideas, sales and coupons!
- A great holiday Flipboard mag evokes the season the occasion is set in, and brings the magic of the holiday to life.
- I have to say one thing I love is a catchy title but not wordy.
What kind of content should be included in a Flipboard Magazine for the holidays?
- Best content for a holiday mag: relevant recipes.
- Tips, tricks, DIY, tutorials, merchandise that you can click-through to purchase.
- Fantastic Images! Easter baskets, gingerbread houses, halloween costumes—all need great photos to look their best.
- Think outside the box to make you magazine stand out. Try a new idea the ties into the season
How do you make a Flipboard Magazine stand out among others curated for the same holiday?
- Have a really awesome cover and title. And, of course, great content!
- My magazine will differ by adding cool gifs of sweater parties and witty holiday sayings.
- MagMakers need to take a new angle, or add some unusual, like a soundtrack from SoundCloud.
- A unique perspective, a new angle, a limited scope.
What should you consider when choosing a name and cover for a Flipboard Magazine for the holidays?
- The title doesn’t need to be the name of the holiday, but it should evoke the holiday. Same thing for the cover pic.
- The title should be short, sweet, and searchable. What is it about?
- It would have to be catchy.
- Covers should be high-res and literally illustrate the title. I’m partial to GIFs.
What are some good ideas for family and friends who want to co-curate a Flipboard holiday magazine?
- Each co-contributor can take an aspect of the holiday, like one person can flip the recipes and another the decorations.
- Talk about the scope. Are you doing all holiday food or just pies? Make sure no one double flips or deletes anything.
- Family holiday travel tips. Also co-curate a potluck, everybody share a recipe that they are bringing to the holiday.
- Wish lists! Each family member could make a wish mag and you could collect them all in a metazine. You can shop from a mag!
- Other holiday ideas for curation would be favorite holiday movies and visuals of lit trees and scenes.
How often should you update a holiday magazine on Flipboard and why?
- During the holidays, keep all content fresh. So daily.
- As often as you can. As the holiday gets closer, daily. There is so much content!
- Created a holiday mag last year? It needs maintenance for the upcoming holiday. Dead links, dated material—remove!
What do you do with a holiday magazine on Flipboard once the season is over?
- Save it and use it as a reference for the next year.
- I do a wrapup with memories and things that happened. And once in awhile, I’ll check for dead links.
- Have wrapup flips, and then lovingly put it away until next year. You can put it at the end of your profile.
- I make seasonal mags private in the off season.
Don’t forget to join the #FlipboardChat this week. Start chatting on Twitter on at 7pm PT / 10pm ET, or come back to this blog for an update.
GET FLIPBOARD ON:
FOLLOW US ON: