Essential ESL & Linguistics Resources for Language Teachers
Jenn de la Vega / February 2, 2016
Bilingual and early language teachers are more important than ever in 2016. More than 5 million students in the public school system are learning English. The Census Bureau reports over 350 languages spoken in U.S. homes. Knowing how many people speak these languages in a particular area provides valuable information to policymakers, planners, researchers and teachers. In the Languages Metazine, educators can gather information to supplement lessons, test students and learn about new teaching methods.
Inside you’ll find these magazines:
- Language Learning and Language Teaching by Francois Wilson: Think pieces about why French isn’t taught in some places and why it’s harder for some to learn certain languages.
- Dual Language Digest by Sandra Menxueiro: This school principal collects helpful language videos and documents the diagrams used in her classrooms. Read our interview with Sandra to see how she uses her magazines to rally teachers and parents.
- Bilingualism, Mother tongue & language by Nadine Bailey: Foreign language speaking, writing and early language teaching insights.
- Babel by Maria Alvarez: Learn slang, idioms and quirks of many different mother tongues.
- Language Matters by ismailtalib: Strengthen the nuts and bolts of grammar, punctuation and sentence structure.
- Celebrate Languages! by Richard deMeij: Thought-provoking articles about language learning strategies and research.
- For the Love of Language by Elizabeth Harger: Dive deep into linguistics and literature as it appears in the real world in film, television and the internet.
Additionally, read how curator Bia Valle uses Flipboard to teach business professionals English. If you’d like to start a language specific magazine, you can start flipping from the Arabic, Chinese, French, Italian, Russian and Spanish topics. Practice foreign language reading with verb drills or flipping flash cards in a Flipboard Magazine (best viewed in-app).
~jdlv is brushing up on Catalan
GET FLIPBOARD ON:
FOLLOW US ON: