What Would Jesus Curate? Meet Pastor Dan Darling (Podcast)
Mia Quagliarello / January 11, 2022
“The best preachers are able to say, here’s this timeless principle — like humility or forgiveness or racial reconciliation — and then look around and say, ‘In what areas are our people uniquely challenged to live by this principle?’ That’s where the curation comes in, where you’re reading the news and trying to find the pressure points where people are struggling and really press in there.” — Dan Darling
Our podcast, “The Art of Curation,” is back for another season, and we’re so thrilled to be kicking it off with a guest who brings a perspective we haven’t heard before, in a completely different realm: religion.
You don’t have to be religious to enjoy this interview with Southern pastor, author and columnist Dan Darling. As the director of the Richard Land Center for Cultural Engagement at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, Dan lives at the intersection of the Bible, the culture and his ministry. It’s fascinating to learn about how he curates ideas and stories for his sermons, how he would curate the Bible for beginners, and his thoughts on what Jesus would curate.
Highlights, inspiration and key learnings:
- How Dan’s faith came to him
- How curation applies to Dan’s role as a pastor
- What it looks like to be a Christian in today’s world
- Anchoring sermons in the timelessness of the Bible
- How something written so long ago can still feel relevant
- Curating the Bible for beginners
- What would Jesus curate
- Applying the disciples’ qualities to ourselves
- Misperceptions secular people have about religious people (and vice-versa)
- How he tracks his ideas for sermons and writings
- His media diet
- What’s hard about his job
- How pastors are curators
- Dan’s favorite books, podcasts, shows and more
Browse this Storyboard to get the episode itself, plus some of Dan’s writings and his own culture picks.
You can find “The Art of Curation” on Flipboard and wherever you listen to your podcasts: Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, Amazon Podcasts and more. Subscribe today so you never miss a new episode! They drop every Tuesday for the next 10 weeks.
We’d also be grateful if you left a review if you enjoyed an episode. It’d mean so much to us!
— Mia Quagliarello, head of creator community and newsletters, is curating the curators in “The Art of Curation” podcast