The Information We Collect
When you use one of Flipboard’s products or services, we (or our service providers or other vendors we engage to perform services on our behalf) collect, receive, or develop the following categories of information from or about you: We collect Identifiers, Contact and Account Information. When you create an account with Flipboard, you give us your full name and email address, and create a username and password to access your account. If you want, you can give us a pseudonym instead of your legal name. We collect Demographic Information. We may collect information like your gender. We collected Payment Information. We may collect your credit card and other payment information if you subscribe to one of our paid services. We collect Information You Submit. If you submit information when customizing your user profile or “Bio”, such as by adding a profile picture, we will collect the information you provide to us. Your profile automatically includes your name and username. We also collect information when you submit a question or comment or apply for a job, or if you provide information when entering a contest or promotion. We may also collect information about your contacts on your mobile or tablet device to help you connect with other Flipboard users if you provide us access. If you want to email something you see through Flipboard to a friend who isn’t already a Flipboard account holder, we may keep their email address for the purpose of sending such email and improving our services. Recipients may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request that we remove this information from our database. We collect Device, Internet and Network Activity Information. So that we can make your Flipboard experience better, we collect information about how you interact with our websites and apps, and third-party sites with Flipboard widgets. This includes what areas of the websites you visit, for how long, and what content you view, flip and interact with. If you use our website(s) or applications, we may collect information about the browser or device you are using, operating system, device identifiers, and your IP address. We also receive some other information automatically when you use Flipboard. We might track the pages you visit. We might look at what site you came from, or what site you visit when you leave us. If you use our mobile apps, we may also look at how often you use the app and where you downloaded it. When you use our websites or apps we may also collect operating system-provided device IDs or user-specific advertising IDs for advertisement tracking. We collect this information using the tracking tools described below. We collect Location Information. To help you connect with other Flipboard users and to personalize your Flipboard experience, we may ask for additional information, including your location. We also collect information about your general location, using your zip code or postcode and IP address. We collect Employment-Related Information. When you apply for a job, we collect information you submit as part of your application and resume. This might include your work experience and previous employment, your education, the URL to your personal or professional websites, your workplace skill sets and certifications, whether you need a visa or require sponsorship, and/or salary expectations. We may also conduct a credit check, background check, and employment verification to the extent permitted by applicable law. If you apply for a job, you may choose to also voluntarily provide any of the following information: ethnicity, gender, disability status, and/or veteran status. We collect and develop Inferences. Using the other pieces of personal information collected about you, we may draw inferences about you, reflecting what we believe to be your preferences, characteristics, predispositions, and attitudes.
How We Collect Information
How We Use Your Information
How We Disclose Your Personal Information
Flipboard supports data privacy rights and is happy to provide our users with the following options:
- Change or Correct Data: You can edit some of your personal information through your account, or, if you need help, you can contact Flipboard Support and we may be able to change or correct your data in certain cases, particularly if it’s inaccurate or out of date.
- Erase or Delete Data: You can erase your personal information by deleting your account. Alternatively, you can ask us to erase all or some of your personal information, subject to certain exceptions.
- Object to or Restrict Use of Data: You can ask us to stop using all or some of your personal information for certain purposes (e.g., if we have no legal right to use it) or limit our use of it for certain purposes (e.g., if your personal information is inaccurate).
- Access or Copy Data: You can ask us for a copy of your personal information.
You can learn more about these options, or submit a request, by contacting Flipboard Support through the Help Center or by emailing email@example.com. For security, privacy, or operational reasons, Flipboard may only respond to valid requests when required by law or regulation. If you are a California resident, have additional rights as specified below.
Your California Privacy Rights.
If you reside in California, you have the right to ask us one time each year if we have shared personal information with third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make a request, please send us an email, or write to us at the address listed below. Indicate in your letter that you are a California resident making a “Shine the Light” inquiry. If you reside in California, you can make the following more specific requests in addition with respect to your personal information:
- Access – You can request that we disclose to you the categories of personal information we collected about you, the categories of sources from which we collected the personal information, the categories of personal information we sold or disclosed, our business or commercial purpose for collecting and selling the personal information, the categories of third parties with whom we shared the personal information, and the specific pieces of personal information we collected about you over the past 12 months. California residents can make this request online by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Deletion – You can request that we delete your personal information that we maintain about you, subject to certain exceptions. California residents can make this request online by emailing us at email@example.com.
- If you have a Flipboard account, on the website or on mobile app you can log into your account and navigate to Privacy Settings to opt-out of the sale of your personal information.If you do not have a Flipboard account and only visit Flipboard.com, we have limited information about you and do not “sell” your information as described in this policy.
- If you do not have a Flipboard account but use the Flipboard mobile app, you can navigate to Privacy Settings in the Flipboard app to opt-out of the sale of your personal information. However, you may also be able to configure your mobile device privacy or advertising settings, including by selecting “limit ad tracking” on an iOS device or “opt out of interest-based ads” on an Android.
- You may also opt-out of sale in some instances by using the DAA CCPA Opt Out Tool at https://optout.privacyrights.info/?c=1. In addition you may be able to opt-out of some – but not all – interest-based ads served by mobile ad networks by visiting http://youradchoices.com/appchoices and downloading the mobile AppChoices app. To opt-out of cookie-based tracking for advertising purposes, you will also need to separately visit https://optout.aboutads.info/ and https://optout.networkadvertising.org/.
- We may collect, use, and disclose for our business and commercial purposes as described above, categories of personal information as set forth in applicable California law, including: Identifiers, Contact and Account Information, Payment Information, Demographic Information, Information You Submit, Device, Internet, and Network Activity Information, Location Information, Employment Related Information, and Inferences.
- We collect these categories of personal information from the sources described above, including directly from you, advertising partners and networks, data analytics providers, vendors and service providers, data brokers, social networks, third party publishers, our business and marketing partners, and other parties in connection with business transfers and for legal, safety, fraud prevention, and enforcement reasons.
Data Retention and Security
Data Storage Outside the EU
As a California-based company, we store and use personal data outside the EU. By using our websites or submitting your personal data, you consent to such transfer, storing and processing. To ensure adequate protection of personal data in cross-border transfer and/or processing, we use appropriate safeguards as allowed under applicable law or regulation.
Links to Third Party Sites
Flipboard’s websites and applications are not intended for children under the age of 16. We do not knowingly collect information from anyone under the age of 16. If you are a parent or legal guardian and think your minor under the age of 16 has given us information, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are under the age of 16, you may only use our websites or apps with the involvement of a parent or guardian.
Legal Department Flipboard 811 Hamilton Street Redwood City, CA 94063
For EU and EFTA users, if you feel you haven’t received a timely or satisfactory response from us with respect to a question or complaint related to this policy, you may raise the issue with your local supervisory authority without prejudice to any other rights you may have.